Friday, April 25, 2014

Five for Friday--bursting with excitement!

I'm linking up the Doodle Bugs

At an assembly on Monday I was surprised to be awarded a Century Link Technology grant for $4700! 

I was so shocked I couldn't even speak. My little darlings were cheering for me and all I could think of was how happy they'll be when I can get 10 more iPads for my class! 



We're working on fractions this week. Here's a peek at what my student teacher did with them on Monday. Have I mentioned how awesome she is? She was being observed by her UNM supervisor on the first day back from spring break, after a really crazy assembly. Bless her heart!
Activities from the Teacher Wife. Click here to get it!


Tuesday, we used an activity from the fab Amy Lemons. They were so excited to make these pizza fractions! Again, I forgot to take a picture until it was in the hall. Sorry for the icky quality.
Isn't it adorable? It's only $2!! Click here to get it.




It couldn't be all fun and games this week...I had to start DRA testing, which is a reading test we have to do three times a year. Don't get me wrong, I hate testing, but I think this actually gives some good information and is fairly reliable (unlike our district math test, gag). Unfortunately, it is very time consuming and must be administered one on one. At this point in the year, most of the kids have to write their answers instead of orally retelling and answering comprehension questions. I try to make it a little less painful by letting them sit on comfy pillows or the bean bag to work. 
I've been a little concerned about my daughter's bruise. She is a beast of a soccer player and was kicked really hard a few weeks ago. It made a huge, nasty bruise. She got kicked there again the following weekend and again last weekend. She is icing it frequently (even at school) but it is still swollen. She has some games this weekend at which college coaches will be in attendance and wants to be in tip top shape. She says it doesn't hurt. I'm not sure how it can't. Ouch! I would be the biggest baby if this was on my leg.
Left is the first week, right is almost four weeks later. 
We have a big soccer weekend! My daughter is playing several games in front of college coaches and my coed rec team is playing for first place in the (last) division! Woot woot! The winning team gets a t-shirt! We are seriously out there to have fun, but when there is a t-shirt on the line....things are going to get serious on Sunday morning! Wish us both luck (and nice weather this time)! Happy weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Suzy!
    Random comment - but I was in a motorbike accident when I was in high school and ended up with the world's biggest bruise on my leg that took literally months to disappear completely! And even after that it left kind of like a scar for about a year. If your daughter's leg doesn't hurt it might just be that it needs more time to clear up. :)

    Congratulations on your grant award! How exciting to be able to buy new resources for your kidlets.

    Lauren
    Love, Laughter and Learning in Prep!

    ReplyDelete