Friday, January 9, 2015

Five for Friday and a $1 DEAL

I'm linking up with Doodlebugs for FFF!

I love making New Year's resolutions. I always have high hopes for what I will accomplish during the year. Often I accomplish things I didn't even dream of in January, but more often than not, I don't accomplish the things on my list. This year I decided to come up with resolutions that I can't fail on. They are 5 simple words and can have various interpretations.
Learn
Enjoy
Accomplish
Simplify
Health

Looking at it, it makes an acronym for LEASH. I guess I'm going to be on a leash this year (in a good way)!

One of the ways I'm working towards these goals is to pick one word a day and write down one way that I will work on that word. For example, I picked Simplify on Wednesday and decided to clean off the top of my desk and declutter. Today, I picked Accomplish and decided to get all my grading done so I don't have to take it home this weekend.
 We're working on subtraction with regrouping and I'm using various resources to supplement the curriculum my district adopted this year. The curriculum places a huge amount of focus on using the number line to solve problems. My students really struggle with this so I've introduced other ways to teach this concept that bridge the gaps in their understanding. I love this interactive regrouping software:

In my small groups, we're working on subtraction strategies using the iPad and a simple chalkboard app that the kids love. The great thing about it (besides having many fun colors to choose from) is that I can take a screenshot of their work and add it to their digital portfolios.

It's a Penguin Palooza in my classroom this month! We are learning about penguins in science and my team teaching partner is incorporating them into ELA. The kids go crazy about penguins and have really enjoyed studying them. I also love to bribe encourage excellent behavior with my students by putting up the SeaWorld penguin cam.

I'm using Amy Lemons' Waddle With Me: A Penguin Unit and so far we've been working on learning the vocabulary. On Thursday, I gave teams of students a set of vocabulary and definitions cards and had them match them up. It was much harder than they expected! I think we'll do some review and try this activity again next week.


I am lucky to not be experiencing the crazy freezing weather most of the country has been this week. It is cold enough here to freeze the pond on the golf course behind my house, but not too cold to be outside. So, in honor of my friends that are freezing in that arctic blast, my Skating Subtraction task cards are $1....get them while they're on sale!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Suzy,

    I love your New Year's resolution idea! I always feel guilty when I don't achieve mine, so this year I made some 'New Year's Reminders' instead. I made a list of a few things that I already do but wanted to make more of a conscious effort with. Little things that make me happy like spending some time at the beach when I can. :)

    Lauren
    Love, Laughter and Learning in Prep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have such cute qr code math centers. My kids are working hard on number lines as well. It's been interesting learning this new curriculum. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete